Silver Swans Workshop
The RAD’s Silver Swans initiative is an exciting business opportunity for experienced ballet teachers to expand their expertise and tap into the growing adult dance market.
Silver Swans ballet classes are aimed at over 55s and are delivered by qualified, licensed, dance professionals. They have been developed in response to a growing mature market, drawing on the RAD’s own research into the benefits of dance for older learners.
There are now over 900 Silver Swans Licensees across the UK, USA, Australia, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Mexico and Canada teaching Silver Swans branded ballet classes.
What will Silver Swans Workshops consist of?
Silver Swans workshops introduce experienced ballet teachers to the principles which guide Silver Swans, with a focus on devising and delivering safe and inclusive ballet classes for older learners, and strategies, which engage students with diverse experiences and abilities. The workshop sessions aim to provide practical experience of effective ballet teaching strategies for a group of mixed-ability older learners. On completion, you will have:
- an understanding of Silver Swans and the responsibilities and expectations of license holders,
- an awareness of a range of ballet teaching strategies and the benefits of these strategies in relation to the Silver Swans,
- a greater understanding of how to safely modify and deliver ballet repertoire for older learners, and
- a knowledge and understanding of appropriate progression, differentiation and integration considerations for adults of mixed ability.
Participation in Silver Swans workshops is open to ballet teachers wishing to find out more about approaches to teaching ballet to older learners, with a view of becoming a Silver Swans Licensee. On completion of the workshop, RAD Registered Teachers will be automatically granted the Silver Swans license. All other teachers who currently teach ballet, and who wish to be considered for the Silver Swans license, will be asked to indicate their interest for the license upon registration for the workshops. Confirmation of eligibility for a license will be based on the observations of the Silver Swans tutor delivering the sessions. The tutor will observe the participant’s secure demonstration of ballet teaching, as detailed in the list of competencies below.
- Knowledge and understanding of the principles of ballet technique;
- Knowledge and understanding of the content and progressions of ballet vocabulary to at least Intermediate level (non-syllabus specific);
- Knowledge and understanding of how to create and deliver effective ballet class content;
- Demonstrate an appropriate understanding of learning and teaching strategies applicable to ballet teaching;
- Demonstrate the ability to teach ballet effectively and safely using practical demonstration as appropriate;
- Communicate effectively through verbal and non-verbal skills;
Teachers that have indicated their interest and are deemed eligible for the license will be notified within 30 days following the workshop.
Benefits of the license
The Silver Swans License entitles you to:
- deliver Silver Swans branded ballet classes
- use the Silver Swans Licensee logo
- have access to the marketing toolkit where you will find a range of resources to help you promote your classes
- have your contact details listed on our global map
- buy Silver Swans dancewear at a discount
What will a Silver Swans Workshop cost me?
The one-day workshop will cost you:
- RAD Registered Teacher: $160
- RAD Member Plus and RAD Member: $160
- Non-Member: $192
Silver Swans Licensees are required to renew their license annually, no later than the renewal date, to remain a Silver Swans Licensee.
You will be invoiced by our Membership team within 30 days of completing the Silver Swans® Workshop for the cost of the annual license fee as follows:
- RAD Registered Teachers receive a 100% discount on the license fee and will therefore pay no fee for the year.
- RAD Member Plus and RAD Members receive a 50% discount on the license fee and will be invoiced $90 for the year.
- Non-Members pay the full license fee and will be invoiced $180 for the year.
2022 Silver Swans® Workshop Sessions
Adding your Silver Swans classes to the Silver Swans Global Map
All current Silver Swans Licensees can be found on our global map. If you are a teacher and your details do not appear on the map, or you would like to update them, please complete this form.
Terms & Conditions and Code of Conduct
- For Licensee queries related to a scheduled Silver Swans Workshop, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- For queries related to licensee benefits or licensee payment issues, please e-mail email@example.com
- For queries related to licensee Moodle access, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For more information regarding Silver Swans classes near you, please visit the Silver Swans online map.
- For sponsorship queries, please e-mail email@example.com