9 August 2021 9:00 am - 12:00 pm PDT
Mindfulness and the Dance Educator: Utilizing Mindfulness to Deal with Conflict and High Stress Situations (Webinar)
This three-hour interactive webinar introduces participants to meditation, mindfulness and physical stretching exercises that promote calm and optimal performance in the learning and teaching of dance. The webinar also takes participants through strategies for developing awareness for higher level thinking and reasoning to develop and forge positive and professional practices and relationships, and approaches for interacting effectively with difficult parents and students.
- Explore meditation and stretching strategies and exercises to counter stressful experiences
- Identify approaches and strategies for interacting effectively with difficult parents and students
- Be equipped to conduct meditative ballet stretches for themselves and/or students to clear the mind, relieve pressure and optimize teaching, performance and leadership
- Understand what it means to hold space, known as a ‘container’ in an interactive and experiential manner by practicing active listening, focusing on facts, validation, timing, resolve and accountability
- Have a greater understanding of how the brain processes information and thoughts when confronted with difficult and challenging situations
- Be able to analyze and reframe negative experiences with difficult parents and/or students with an increased awareness of positive problem-solving abilities and actions
- Understand factors which shape and promote safe, positive, fun and friendly dance environments
Joy Handy earned her Certificate in Higher Education: Dance Education and is a Registered Teacher with the Royal Academy of Dance. She is a certified Life Coach and a certified Health Coach through the Health Coach Institute and the International Coaching Federation. She also holds a certificate in Progressing Ballet Technique. Joy has loved every minute of over 30 years in the dance industry as a performer with Salt Lake City Chamber Ballet, Mountain West Ballet and Contemporary Dance Theatre and as a dance educator, director, choreographer and studio owner. Most recently she has owned and sold two commercial dance studios, directed Moscow Ballet Company’s Bakersfield, California local cast production of the Nutcracker for 10 years and has directed, choreographed numerous dance concerts from pageants to public school productions. She recently moved to Idaho, US where she owns and operates her life coaching practice and teaches dance locally and virtually. Her greatest life work continues to be within her family and considers them her most valued and perpetual achievement and happiness.
3 hours Time-Valued CPD
Members of the Royal Academy of Dance receive discounts on all CPD activities.
For details on how your information is processed, please see the CPD Privacy Notice. Please also read our Terms and Conditions.
The webinar will be hosted on Zoom. Zoom’s privacy notice is available here.
|9:00 am - 12:00 pm PDT||Member: $60 |