23 July 2021 9:00 am - 12:00 pm PDT
An Introduction to Attention and Focus Training for Dance: Part 1 (Webinar)
This webinar is part one of a two-part series. Participants will be introduced to evidenced-based attention and focus theories and practices in the learning and teaching of dance. In the webinar, participants explore several focus techniques that can be used to enhance dancer performance, for example, how a simple shift of focus in the wording of instructions can result in immediate, palpable physical benefits. Participants of this webinar will take away new tools and a fresh perspective to develop their awareness of attention and focus in their own dancing contexts.
- Examine how aspects of attention and focus can be applied to the learning and teaching of dance to support optimal performance
- Be aware of different attentional focus approaches identified in motor control literature and of some of the associated physical and mental benefits to performance promoted by a specific attention and focus
- Have an understanding of some of the benefits to learning and for diverse learning groups of promoting an external focus of attention (EFA)
- Take away several practical ‘how to’ examples to apply directly in their own teaching practice or training
Clare Guss-West MA, is an RAD PTS, former professional dancer, choreographer, holistic health practitioner and author. She currently presents attention and focus training for professional companies such as The Royal Ballet, Finnish National Ballet, Houston Ballet and has contributed training for RAD PDPTC and BABE courses, CPD for RAD USA and Canada and featured at the RAD En Avant Conference 2016.
Clare teaches regularly for the Pôle National Superieure de Danse, Rosella Hightower and the University of Nice, France, Bern University, MAS Dance Science, Switzerland and UQAM, Canada.
She is chair of Dance for Health for IADMS (The International Association of Dance, Medicine and Science) and co-founder of the European Dance & Creative Wellness Foundation raising public awareness of the health and wellbeing benefits of dance.
The following are required to attend the webinar:
- A computer with internet connection
- ‘At home’ participants will need a clear space of no less than approximately 21 ft2
Guss-West, Clare. 2021. Attention and focus in dance. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics Books
Available for purchase here.
3 hours Time-Valued CPD
Registration is now closed.
Members of the Royal Academy of Dance receive discounts on all CPD activities.
For details on how your information is processed, please see the CPD Privacy Notice. Please also read our Terms and Conditions.
The webinar will be hosted on Zoom. Zoom’s privacy notice is available here.
|9:00 am - 12:00 pm PDT||Member: $60 |